Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: New Reality (lux render) Plugin over at Daz...time for Poser Plugin Update?

Ridley5 opened this issue on Jul 26, 2010 · 1724 posts

Xase posted Fri, 13 August 2010 at 12:40 PM

Quote - > Quote - Most images (even those taken from a camera) are already gamma-corrected. To use those images in a render (as background or texture) the gamma effect has to be reversed

Cameras have not gamma correction, and are made to have a linear response. TV stations correct the gamma at other stage and not at the camera.
I don't know about digital TV, the standards are different.

Photographic images also also not linear and much is corrected in the laboratory.
The non linearity of a photograph is not the same as a cathode ray, plasma tubes has other non linearities.
Photographic images are not made to be seen on monitors, are made to be printed, so no cathode ray tube is used and the gamma corrections are very different.

(snip)

Ok, I'm a hardware guy not a coder and a lot of the math etc goes WAY over my head, but even I can figure out that in a thread about an external rendering engine and how to export to said engine, you don't threadjack it.

@Kawecki: I know you mean well, but if you want to have a diatribe about GC, please just create a new thread and let BB, ODF and ADP get on with what most of us think is a really cool thing.

Grabbin my popcorn and heading back to the shadows now.....