Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Will Facebook Eat Renderosity and DAZ's Lunch?

MatrixWorkz opened this issue on Aug 26, 2010 · 66 posts

MatrixWorkz posted Sat, 28 August 2010 at 7:42 PM

Quote - > Quote - I'm not a Facebook member, and don't plan to be. I find all the social networks to be irritating time wasters. So, no... you won't get my business.  

You can add me to that list as well.

What do you think Renderosity and DAZ are if they're not a form of Social Network for Artists?

Quote - Maybe I'm missing something.  I haven't seen any attacks on the OP, or anyone telling him to leave this site.

Then you skipped over HeyDork accusing me of Advertising Spam when I had no links to my Facebook presence whatsoever and Mackis3D basically telling me to Ignore Renderosity if I didn't like it so much. That to me was an invitation to leave. Almost everyone has zeroed in on the remarks I made about opening a store there but have completely ignored the actual topic that the article I linked to generated. What's the topic again? Anyone? It's not my store, really. I could care less if you don't want to buy from me personally.

What I'm asking you is, with a social network as HUGE as Facebook, how long do you think Rosity and DAZ can compete if merchants start moving en mass to places that actually give you decent privacy settings and Ignore User features and all the other things we've been asking for around here for years now?

Right now I hear a lot of "I won't give FB my credit information", but Who's saying you had to? Certainly not me! The store setup I'm looking at isn't handled by Facebook at all other than as a front door to an outside selling site which is using even further outside credit and payment sites to access payments. Right now, I'm only setup to accept PayPal payments through E-Junkie. Facebook will never see a thing from your credit cards.

Right now, all I'm hearing is a lot of uninformed or under informed prejudices against a site because of underused privacy settings and overused gaming spam and TMI from people you are calling your friends. Imagine a site where you don't have to see MatrixWorkz spam at all if you don't want to. Just Block it. Don't like Ron Knights? Block him. Poof! Gone.

Imagine that you can sell using whatever offsite merchandising site you want to use because you can past HTML code to your pages that allow you to sell without giving the host 50% or more of the take. Oh wait, you don't have to imagine it. Just look into the options.

So please, if you have something to add to the discussion about whether or not big social media can overrun sites like this one that have nothing to do with your fear of facebook, please, jump in here. For Pete's sake don't just assume I'm bashing on Renderosity here either. I've been here just as long as most of the rest of you under one screen name or another. Who knows? Maybe this topic could open the eyes of the programmers around here enough that they'll finally implement that ignore user feature we've been pleading for for well over 10 years now!

My Freebies