Forum: Carrara

Subject: Hanging chain... help!

stevejp opened this issue on Sep 10, 2010 · 13 posts

MarkBremmer posted Mon, 13 September 2010 at 9:27 AM

Nicely done. Physics is much better in Carrara than it was, but there are still some issues. 

Yes, there is a way to do that - and it leads to a third method: mechanical rigging of the chain. 

On a single starter link, move the hot point (done by engaging the Cap Lock and then using the move tool - be sure to disengage the lock when done) and move the point to one end of the link and center on the metal there and change the motion constraint to Ball Joint (or the one of your choice) . Then duplicate the link, move into position and rotate 90 degrees. You can then do the Duplicate short cut and you'll have an entire straight chain built automatically. 

The last step is to create a parent child relationship to each link in the Properties tray. 

If this is totally unclear - because I haven't had my second cup of coffee today - just let me know and I'll post an example image.

Then you can pose the chain to your hearts content. The Bones method is superior for long lengths but the mechanical rig provides the most options.