Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: LuxPose Wishlist

LaurieA opened this issue on Aug 27, 2010 · 34 posts

odf posted Thu, 16 September 2010 at 7:15 PM

@ice-boy: Laurie asked to use one of the other threads for discussions and comments, and keep this one exclusively for stating wishes.

That said, I have a comment which I will state, because it leads to a couple of wishes/ideas. First of all, the exporter already supports automatic Catmull-Clark subdivision on export, so it's only a question of how the LuxPose GUI will expose this capability to the user. That's already covered in the wishlist as it appears on the wiki, by the way.

Wish #1: Many things that the exporter can do to enhance the quality of the exported mesh (computing vertex normals, subdividing, converting dynamic hair) take extra time, sometimes a lot of it. On top of that, there seems to be a similar speed-quality tradeoff in the render settings for Lux. Since we can't expect every user to understand all the little details, I think it would be very useful to have two or more presets of render and exporter options, say at least a draft and a 'final' mode. In final mode, all meshes might be subdivided twice, normals computed and hair converted into high-quality meshes. In draft mode, the mesh would be exported as-is, with just the minimal processing to make sure texture maps still work. There would be similar sets of options for Lux to go along with that.

Wish #2: This is a bit more ambitious, but it's been discussed in one of the Lux threads already. It might be useful to have some kind of "auto" mode in which the scene is analysed and settings picked for each object depending on it's properties and where it is in the scene. So for example foreground figures would get all the detail treatment for 'final' mode, but some dude in the background that will only be 10 pixels high in the final image wouldn't.

-- I'm not mad at you, just Westphalian.