Forum: 3D Modeling

Subject: WIP: Simple Morphing Chess Piece - Advice On The Knight?

3dcheapskate opened this issue on Sep 08, 2010 ยท 24 posts

3dcheapskate posted Mon, 27 September 2010 at 9:40 AM

Anyway, I've decided to use the 96-polygon cube as the basis for the morphing chess piece. The outline in the previous picture is too angular, so I need to round that off a bit. And I reckon that I need some more faces to define the ridgeline where the horses chin and lower jaw tuck into the neck (I think I've just realised one of the purposes/uses of edge loops, and I don't have one there).

Plus I need to bear in mind that I'm modelling a pawn, bishop, rook, queen and king from the same mesh, and each of them will need more detail but in different areas. This has turned into an intriguing exercise for me.

The upshot of all this is that the morphing chess piece will be delayed (i.e. not released by the end of September), but will hopefully be a better model.

Tantarus - thanks for the positive comment*. I think I'll do as you suggest, and develop the morphing version separately (but using this as the base).

The 3Dcheapskate* occasionally posts sensible stuff. Usually by accident.
And it usually uses Poser 11, with units set to inches. Except when it's using Poser 6 or PP2014, or when its units are set to PNU.

*also available in ShareCG, DAZ, and HiveWire3D flavours (the DeviantArt and CGBytes flavour have been discontinued).