Forum: Bryce

Subject: OT: Privatized fire department horror

tom271 opened this issue on Oct 07, 2010 · 28 posts

skiwillgee posted Mon, 11 October 2010 at 11:09 AM

"Just as an ending note:  that two dogs and a cat burned to death in the house.. and two people were taken to the hospital .."

I don't understand the latest link and comment.  The original fire discussed was in Tenn. in Sept. 2010 and the blaze that Tom271 noted as "ending note" occurred in Aug 2005 in Oakland (assuming California) and firefighters were fighting the blaze.   ?????

I think electroglyph understands the complexities of the situation and aptly elaborated on the financial problems some fire protection providers face.   The VFD I belonged to set adjacent to Charlotte, NC and Charlotte Douglas International airport.  We were subsidized by Mecklenburg county government to provide fire and rescue service within our fire district. The subsidy covered about 10% of our operating expenses.  Other than that, we were supported 100% by donations from residents and businesses in our district.  The residents living in the better subdivisions and large corporate businesses were the least apt to donate even a nickel to the department.  Large hotel chains like Holiday Inn and Mariott, national motor freight carriers that had huge terminal hubs in our district, etc...  would not give a penny because their corporate offices had a policy against giving donations to "charities".  We trained with and responded as backup to Charlotte's fire stations and Charlotte airport's crash units. We covered the Air National Guard and its planes adjacent to the air port.  None of those gave any financial support to our department even though we were expected to respond when called (and we did respond to ALL calls). 

Maybe this thread has opened some eyes to the "taken for granted" services that are/aren't provided outside city limits.

My VFD's history fm the web.
Wilkinson Boulevard FD was one of the first rural departments in North Carolina, organized in 1943 after two houses were destroyed on Gary Street off Wilkinson Boulevard, just outside the city limits. The department acquired hose and sponsored the installation of hydrants along a newly installed main. WBFD reformed in 1947, and a formal fire department was created. Apparatus was acquired, and a station was built. The first station was located at 2925 Wilkinson Boulevard, and relocated by 1967 to 2904 Little Rock Road just north of Wilkinson Boulevard. Due to annexations, WBFD merged with Moores Chapel FD in 1984 and formed West Mecklenburg FD. Became WMFD Station #2. Both stations subsequently closed and 66-member department relocated to Sam Wilson Road. Source: OH, FD, Charlotte Observer, 21JUN89, Charlotte News, 27MAR84.