Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: The LuxPose Project - Alpha Stage

Khai-J-Bach opened this issue on Aug 27, 2010 · 1684 posts

adp001 posted Tue, 12 October 2010 at 12:38 PM

After a few busy days for my customers out of home I have now some time for the exporter.

To the in-between versions: I tried to find a way to support further nodes with BB's code. But there are to mutch points where I didn't find a way through. So I dropped this and started my own material exporter based on previous work (my old matnodes5 lib). This is more streight forward and better documented (not full, but better, and the code is mostly self-documented because of my programming style). So there is a good chance for others to step in.

My goal is not to convert Poser materials in all cases to generate the same image in Lux as in Poser. But do a useful/usable conversion to have a starting-point ready to add "LuxPose-Material-Macros".  

All other may wait until BB comes back with his exporter version.

With other words: My way is primarily for artists using Poser to "quick-setup" a scene as a target for LuxRender. I try to make the code as abstract as possible to be able to use most of the code for a converter for C4D 12 with Python support.

About animations:
It's not hard to support animations created with Poser. Materials must be exported only once. After this the geometry- and light-converter part must be called for each frame in the scene. But with the actual code it will be slow because LuxRender must be restarted for each frame in the scene.

A better way may be to use "embedded LuxRender" via Lux-Python-API with musltitasking, coverting geometries for the next frame while LuxRender generates the image for the actual frame. But this needs a powerful machine or better network-rendering. Because Poser and LuxRender both must run (and work) on the same machine, sharing cores and memory.

For standard single machines it may be better to export geometries for each frame to a row of files (on a HD with plenty of space) and start the render process thereafter. A special flag for props may help speed up the geometry-generation while exporting static props only once to a kind of macro inserted into each geometry-file. Advantage for the last method is that external render-farms may be used.

If someone wants to start with a framework for animations I happily will help where I can.

A first version with animation support can be downloaded from here:

http://www.poserprofis.de/PoserLuxExporter_alpha_1-42ani.zip

(download tested this time ;) )