Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Material Room - Draw a line on a Surface

RichardCoffey opened this issue on Oct 10, 2010 · 35 posts

bagginsbill posted Thu, 14 October 2010 at 11:13 AM

Well I've made some progress on this. I'm doing a single "tear" on a square for the moment. Later I'll deal with integrating this into a skin shader.

I have to give some warnings before we delve into this.

I have a very powerful computer and yet it takes a looong time to load or update the shader. Loading or making any change in the material room causes Poser to crank for about 13 seconds. I don't know why because the shader is not as math intensive as many I've done before. It is currently 85 nodes and usually 85 nodes doesn't make Poser behave like this. I'm not sure what to do about it. If you don't have a strong computer, you may find loading the shader to be intolerable. Strangely, it takes less time to render than to load.

Second, while the basic line-segment algorithm is not very complicated, transforming that into a usable teardrop shape is a bit intense. Then how to use it to blend a skin and water shader adds more complications. I'll try to explain how in simple terms, but there is considerable math. The explanations will take hours to produce and I don't have a lot of time at the moment. So - it may take a few days to a week for me to explain it all.

As I have time, I'll add posts to this thread.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)