Forum: Photography

Subject: Roll up.. roll up.. all the fun of the fair..

mrsparky opened this issue on Oct 20, 2010 · 15 posts

mrsparky posted Thu, 21 October 2010 at 12:10 PM

Thanks everyone.

Freaky halloweeny for sure you have picked up a spirit there.
Not that mysterious :) It was someone walking along while talking on a mobile phone!
If you've not seen this effect before it happens because the subjects are moving during a longish exposure time. 

Thankyou for showing such awesome pictures of something I will never get to see.

Thanks. Though you could get shots like this. All you need is a simple camera setting, a basic tripod, some torches and (or other lights) the help of a friend. A cable release will help if you can get one for your camera.

Stick camera on tripod, and on the cameras menu select bulb (it might be called something else) but the idea is to find a setting that leaves the shutter open for as long as possible. Prefably something you can mannually countrol. On some cameras it's a scene mode.    

Light the scene with one torch so you can get a focus. Then get your mate to wave the other lighg around and turn off your your torch. Now hit the shutter button, after a while release it. You'll have to play around with different times and changing the ISO.    

WOW I love the shots and you really did well and thanks for the info of the ISO. I have always troubles remembering what is good for what :-)

I'm the same with F numbers and shutter speeds :) I set one but not the other!
ISO is quite easy if you remember that it's low numbers for sunny stuff and big numbers for dark stuff.

Pinky - you left the lens cap of your mind on again.