Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: "Hide" one object from a light?

Cyberwoman opened this issue on Oct 31, 2010 · 30 posts

Schecterman posted Sun, 31 October 2010 at 3:10 PM

Quote - Poser does not have finicky lights. That is a perception caused by non-linear rendering, i.e. ignoring gamma correction. Sorry - had to say it. By finicky lights people usually mean "does not behave the way I expect real life lights to behave" and this is not the lights it is not using the linear rendering equation and not using falloff properly.

Poser does have finicky lights - when you're going for an effect, that is. And considering the nature of the request, you of all people should have realized it was for the purpose of creating a certain look and not necessarily realism.

Unless you just wanted to take this opportunity to lecture on realism once again, in which case you'd be right. ;-)

Although I'm not the one who asked the question, I am the one who said "finicky lights". For my part, there have been many times when I wanted something in the foreground to be brighter, but had some object in the near background picking up too much light due to the fact that the light in the foreground was affecting it. And more times than I could possibly remember I spent hours trying to get the balance right, to get the effect I wanted.

If I could simply turn off a particular light or lights for that object, it would be a matter of seconds to get what I wanted, not an hour of trial and error - to have an option for every light to affect diffuse and specularity on everything as a default, but to be able to select objects to not affect at all. Inversely, the object could have an option to be affected by all lights or only particular lights in the scene - same result, different means.

This is why other programs have that feature. Somebody must be using it after all. ;-)