Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Any suggestions for 3D printing figurine prototypes?

JAG opened this issue on Oct 15, 2010 · 8 posts

nomuse posted Wed, 03 November 2010 at 2:47 PM

Shapeways is quite supportive of amatuers and geared to one-off stuff.  They get down to under two bucks per cc.  (That's actual object volume, not bounding box).

Basically, though, something the size of an old "lead" miniature is quite affordable, but getting up to figurine scale -- 1/10 through 1/6 -- expect to be paying in the hundreds.

(Rough estimate; approximate a human body as a cylinder 177 cm in height 40 cm in diameter.  At 1/20 scale that's 9 x 2; 28 cc's or about forty bucks US.  At 1/8 scale; 432 cc's or over six hundred bucks for the cheapest material at Shapeways.  At 1/72d "figure" scale it drops down to 3-8 bucks depending on material.)

You do have to build for printing, though.  The mesh has to be manifold, and watertight.  Most Poser clothing items are not designed this way; they tend to be open surfaces.  Almost certainly you'll need to tinker in a modeling application to clean up the mesh.

(I just sent in my first Shapeways order...that's why this stuff is at the tip of my tongue right now.)