Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: VSS Skin Test - Opinions

bagginsbill opened this issue on Apr 23, 2008 ยท 2832 posts

bagginsbill posted Mon, 03 January 2011 at 7:56 PM

The shipping Miki3 shader is not like the VSS PR3 at all. I invented it when SM asked for a new shader and felt that the full VSS shader was too complicated. (I don't know what they really mean by that - other than seeing lots of nodes scares people? But then lots of nodes produce correct results without manual intervention, so .... )

I did make what you might call PR4 and tried it on Miki. It looks slightly more real - we're at the margins of the 90/10 rule here. You have to do 9 times more work to get another increment in realism at this point.

If you have PP2010 with render GC and IDL, you don't need the complicated shaders I have been using. It's mostly in the correct setting up of the Blinn node - after that it's just marginal details that arguably have no absolutely "correct" value.

If you don't have render GC and IDL running, then the Miki 3 shader is weak and the VSS PR3 is better. PR4 is more better, but it's a tiny improvement.

When I have time I will publish the PR4 shader. Too busy right now.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)