Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: extreme OT: Why are British programs so much funnier?

scanmead opened this issue on Jan 23, 2011 ยท 101 posts

maclean posted Wed, 26 January 2011 at 11:21 AM

As a Brit, I appreciate good comedy, and I grew up with Python, Blackadder, etc. But some of the older, more traditional TV series from the 60s were excellent too. I'm thinking of Steptoe & Son (done in the US as Sanford & Son), Till Death Us Do Part (US version - All In The Family with Archie Bunker), and few others of that era. However, America has produced some really world-class comedians/comedies too. Probably the best of them all was Lenny Bruce, the forefather of alternative comedy. And (to me) the greatest satirical genius of all time - Tom Lehrer. Strangely enough, Tom Lehrer was probably more appreciated in the UK, and to this day, many british comedians, (like Rory Bremner), cite him as a huge influence. Also, parody movies like the Zucker Bros (Airplane, Naked Gun, etc), would never have been made in Britain, and someone like Weird Al Yankovich could only be American. So it's not all bad in the States. Btw, I'm surprised no one's mentioned Little Britain yet. I found it generally pretty high quality - totally over the top in every way, but I love that. I recently saw a travel spoof they did (dunno what it was called), but it was great too. mac