Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: extreme OT: Why are British programs so much funnier?

scanmead opened this issue on Jan 23, 2011 · 101 posts

SamTherapy posted Thu, 27 January 2011 at 7:37 AM

Agree with Klebnor.  I don't get this "highbrow" tag we Brits are given.  Like the polite one, it's a myth.

I have an idea why the humour over here is different and it's tied in with my ideas about sarcasm, which is also more of a Brit trait than American.  The US constitution provides a right to free speech and freedom of expression but we don't have that over here.  I believe this is the reason why Americans tend to just come right out and say something, whereas Brits tend to go round the houses.  With sarcasm and irony, one can always pretend the statements should be taken at face value.  Much of Brit humour is based on this characteristic.

Back to Klebnor's remarks...  I never cared for Are You Being Served.  Like 'Allo 'Allo, it's of a piece with mainstream comedy.  I did, however, enjoy The Two Ronnies and Dad's Army, which I guess are part and parcel of the same thing.  I'm surpriesed Not the Nine O'Clock News hasn't been mentioned, nor Morecambe and Wise.  Oh, and of course, Vic Reeves, who is, IMO, a genius.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery