Forum: Suggestion Box

Subject: Get rid of the Clearance policy

pjz99 opened this issue on Dec 19, 2010 · 38 posts

argel1200 posted Tue, 01 February 2011 at 12:55 PM

As a side note, removing items enourages piracy. As an example, Wanted was (texture pack for StormChaser) was retired (I'm guessing as short run get while you can type offr and not a clearance item). Well, I was googling for StormChaser stuff, and a link to a pireated copy of it was on the first page of results. So I can no longer buy it on here, but if I really want it I can get it. So you could sell it to me, or by takign it off the market, in effect create a black market for it.For the record, I did not download it, but I have to admit the temptation was much higher than usual. We're not stupid -- at the end of the day all you are doing is creatign artificial scarcity and not providing what your customers are looking for (i.e. the option to buy a ligit copy).  I mean, every time I search for soemtihng on DAZ, here, etc. I always find links to pirated copies, usually on the first page of results. I usually end up doing the **-**word_I_want_excluded on Google to filter them out, but it's a real pain and it puts the temptation right there in front of me. This artifical scarcity you are creating just increases the temptation factor. For what? What does it really buy you?

BTW, I was Googling for StormChaser because I could swear there was soem product on soem site that was designed for the V4 bodysuit and Stormchaser, but I do not reember what it was or where I saw it. I thoguht it was here, but so far cannto find it (keep thinking there was a silver liek trim on Shadowchaser).

Anyway, seems like piracy is a touchy subject, but there were two texture packs for Stormchaser that came and went fairly quickly, and as a newcomer to Renderosity, it's very frustrating to see soemthihg I would buy if it was still available. And then to have apoireated version pop up in a search less than an hour later. Talk about throwing salt on the wound!

And I'd also like to secodn the suggestionmade eleswhere for spell check!! Too tired to correct the problems in this post.

deviantArt Gallery