Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: OT: Windows not loading, please help

RedPhantom opened this issue on Feb 27, 2011 · 40 posts

KageRyu posted Sun, 27 February 2011 at 1:51 PM

MagnusGreel (oops I said it again...maybe it's like beetlejuice if I do it a third time he'll go away),

You did start the fight by overreacting when I pointed out I had already suggested what you posted.

You did parrot me and it's plain to see.

You coulda fooled me about wanting to help rather than fight - last time you took it personally that I had a different opinion on a piece of software - and although you posted your links - when I posted links that supported my opinion you flew off the handle just like you did this time. Despite what you may think I did not bear you any personal malice despite that incident, though after this one I can see how childish and unreasonable you are.

As for the Orriginal Topic, as I said in my first post, before this all started:

1. Stop using the problem computer until you can try to correct or resolve this. If it is a virus (which it 90% likely is from what you said - more than one) it will continue to get worse.  At some point safe mode will no longer work.  With the virus that cause these symptoms, by the time it reaches this point the infection is usually pretty severe, and you are looking at registry damage, damage to core windows components, and damage to the MBR of your hard drive.  Every computer I worked on in the last 3 years that exibited these symptoms and was infected had numerous virus on them, include backdoor trojans, downloader, and keyloggers.

2. Imediately change all of your online passwords from a safe computer. Especially any bank, paypal, or auction site passwords. Better safe than sorry.

3. Pick up a Recovery CD, The AVG recovery CD can be installed to a USB stick and updated when run which is why I recomend it - make sure your computer can boot from USB. It is best to try to run scanners and cleaners from a clean bootable device (USB or CD). The virus that commonly cause this, even when detected in windows from the infected machine, have backup scripts that cause catastrophic failure and file damage when the core components are removed on the reboot to finish cleaning about 50% of the time.

4. Stop in at security forums with this issue - they can talk you through the removal steps in detail. They will want a Hijackthis log file, so I recomend picking up that program. Other programs you may want to download from a clean system are: Malware Bytes, ComboFix, CCcleaner, Spybot Search & Destroy, HackThis, SuperAntiSpyware, **Clamwin, Dr.Web, Avast!, Kaspersky, Commodo **and Rootkit Revealer. All of those have free version last time I checked.  Downloading programs on the infected machine can lead to them becoming infected and not detecting the virus.

5. Get some good firewall software. Zonealarm, Peerguardian2 are good places to start, i am sure other users will recomend others as well.

There is a chance it may not be a virus, but it is better to be safe than sorry.

The New HD Toaster from Wamco toasts bread more evenly and acurately than Standard Toasters. Take advantage of the FULL resolution of your bread and try one today, because if your toast isn't in High Definition, you are not getting the most of your toast!