Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Pose2Lux

LaurieA opened this issue on Feb 13, 2011 ยท 1102 posts

LaurieA posted Fri, 04 March 2011 at 8:44 PM

I will be putting all this in the user guide, but until then, here is the quick and dirty version on using the skydome:

Apply your image of choice to BB's skydome or hemisphere. In your Poser scene, limit your lights to just one infinite. It's adviseable to match the direction of light of the sun to your dome image map as much as possible.

Open Pose2Lux and analyze the scene. Apply your Luxrender materials. Remember to make the skydome's Luxrender material "Skydome" listed under the "Special" materials menu (0.8.7).

On your lights panel, name your inifinite light (as in, add to a group). This name should be something other than default as the sky image is defaulting to "default" light name, if that makes sense...lol. I just name mine sun. WARNING: Do NOT add this infinite to the sun section at the bottom of the Lights panel where it asks you to chose a sun and sky light. Leave the light as is - just an infinite.

On the Camera panel chose "Skydome"

Export as normal.

In Luxrender, you may set the gain on the infinite/sun light up to 20. This may darken your sky a bit too much but if you play with the settings a bit in Linear Tonemapping mode, you can equalize that quite a bit.

To see more of the sky in your render, choose 35mm or below for your camera in Poser. 24mm works well.

Now, if you're using an hdri image, you may not need the infinite light at all, but rather just the skydome. Your image will still have light and will still cast shadows, although it will appear to be more like a cloudy day.

Thanks to Snarlygribbly for clearing all that up for me ;o). My skies looked like crap before he walked me thru it.

It's been my experience so far that .jpgs look better than .hdr images, at least to my eye.

You can get some really nice IBL images here, in both .hdr and .jpg format.

Hope that helps ;).

Laurie