Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Viewing Renders in 3d?

Photopium opened this issue on Apr 06, 2011 · 8 posts

dorkmcgork posted Sat, 16 April 2011 at 3:43 PM

i'm sorry for the late reply william i wasn't around

i shoot at 50 mm (supposedly the human eye focal legnth).  depending on how far away from the subject i am i will separate the image .06 to maybe .1 in x.  of course make scenes deep if you can. 

if you shoot at higher focal legnths then you're not actually seeing things the way people see them and might get some confusion there.  lower focal legnths will look distorted, which is cool when you want it of course.  the longer the focal legnth, the probably larger the eye looking at it.  use a long focal legnth on a city scene to look at it like god might : )

and to check the separation i render each side in flat lined anti alias and combine those.  the lines really really help big time in deciding if your separation is too much or too little.

oddly enough i use a lot less separation than many genuinely professional people do.  there are a lot of 3d movies that give me big time eye strain, and i can never fully resolve certain scenes.  by this i mean spy kids, some horror films, etc.  i like the separation in monster house a lot that is just about perfect.  i'm a big fan of zemeckis anyway, he's doing a good job in 3d.  (i always liked him though, before he did 3d too.  he's just a fantastic director.  check out the scene in contact when jodie foster's character as a child runs to get her father's medecine.  or that opening scene!  just amazing.)  i think people overcompensate big time when making 3d.  you don't have to have a knife stab your eye in every single scene.  the pleasure of 3d is there without jabbing at me.

that viewer kicks butt i'm gonna get it too.

chek it out...if you parent the aux camera to the main camera with some separation and set the window to give you a split window in l/r, then you should be able to see things in 3d as you play with them!  (with that viewer) lenticular, dude!

go that way really fast.
if something gets in your way
turn