Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: how do you make IBL bubble images?

MistyLaraCarrara opened this issue on Apr 27, 2011 · 51 posts

MistyLaraCarrara posted Wed, 27 April 2011 at 2:49 PM

Quote - > Quote -  i d/l the EnvSphere and GenIBL.  😄

so now i can make IBL ready LDR images using my photography?

No - the point I'm making is that a photograph of, for example, your hand, cannot be made into an image based light that produces the lighting at the time that surrounded your hand. It produces light made of your hand as if you wrapped a glowing photo of your hand around the universe.

Now a photo of some trees and ground and sky might produce some light that isn't completely nonsense, but it isn't the same as a full 360 degree sampling of the world.

So - converting any normal photo to angular map format (what you call bubble) is not doing anything useful.  I'm saying you can use any photo you want for lights, including you can use a photo of your bookshelf or your tonsils, but converting that to bubble format isn't going to make it into a realistic light source. It's just going to re-arrange the distribution of the colors a bit, but they're still pretty much random lighting. The effort involved isn't going to produce anything meaningful.

The conversion in HDRShop expects that you're starting with a full 360 degree panoramic image (100% capture of the scene lighting), or a mirror ball image (85% capture of the scene lighting.) Your typical photo captures about 1 to 5% of the scene lighting and is useless as a simulation light source.

Oh.   so, my photography won't work for IBL.

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff