Forum: Photography

Subject: Is "NO RIGHT CLICK" worth it?

TomDart opened this issue on May 11, 2011 · 13 posts

whaleman posted Sat, 21 May 2011 at 12:50 AM

Another option I guess is to not post your best work, just something similar that gives people a taste without giving the farm away. I sometimes do this, saving my best to show in person to family or friends. I know some shots may be stolen but I think many people have very inflated ideas about the value of their photos. As more photos (of every subject) become available their individual value declines, leading me to say that if you want to make money taking pictures (which I don't) start doing weddings.

I knew one fellow who knocked himself out creating a web site to sell his photos, thinking he was going to make lots of money, and his photos were pretty good too. After two years he shut it down having sold zero photos!

Some theft goes with the territory. I have approximately 50 custom books available that I have created in the field of electronics education and I sell through my own publishing company all over North America. Much of my material has been stolen and copied in many colleges and universities all over. It's easy, buy it one year, photocopy it the next. Even if the colleges do not do this, and most do not, the students will rip you off. I lose at least 30% of my potential earnings due to students making illegal copies while their professors look the other way. If you think it's easy or cheap to protect your copyright, think again. It's not! It is a path to enrichment for lawyers. If I were back at the beginning I would never write a technical book or suggest this path to anyone else.

Wayne