Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Have any of you ever become hostile towards the Poser Hobby?

Photopium opened this issue on Jul 02, 2011 · 43 posts

hornet3d posted Sun, 03 July 2011 at 12:30 PM Online Now!

I have had periods when I have left Poser alone, both through lack of time and lack of any sort of inspiration.  I use it just as a hobby and do not have a massive emotional commitment.  During the times when I am stuck for ideas I tend to look deeper into Poser as I know I am not even close to pushing it's capabilities. 

On the other hand I can understand what a daunting process reinstalling can be when you have lost a lot of data.  However, Poser is not alone in this, and in the age of digital photography it is so easy to loose images that can never be reproduced. 

My back up routine is simple I back up everything via an automated process to a 1Tb hard drive placed into a hot-swapable cradle.  I rotate this hard drive once a week and twice a month I do another backup to a second 1tb that is held with a family member who lives close.  That drive is rotated on each occasion.  That gives me an immediate 1 week fall back and a two week fall back at a remote location (incase of theft or fire).  The program also gives reports on the backup run and any failures.

The total hardware required is 3 X 1tb hard drives and a hot-swap cradle.  The back ups are full in that the cover the program, runtime and renders and maintain the drive/file structure of the existing machine.

Of course the only time you know if a back up plan will work is when you need to back up.  In my case the closest I have got is a machine build and full recovery in less than 18 hours from blank machine to working poser with all my renders from the past 6 years.  A large chunk of that 18 hours was overnight as I left the drive running unattended.  Not sure of the full size but that included seperate runtimes for Vicky 3, Vicky 4, Mike and David, Mike 4, Robots, Space, Places,Construction, Lights, Materials, Animals, Mythical Creatures, Furniture, Transport, Weapons, plus the usual Poser and download runtimes and python scripts. 

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.