Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: VSS Skin Test - Opinions

bagginsbill opened this issue on Apr 23, 2008 · 2832 posts

Acadia posted Fri, 15 July 2011 at 4:43 PM

Quote - In the case of these wings, you don't have anything to benefit from. You're not using a Bagginsbill shader - you plan to use the shader that is already there. And you're not going to save time by applying shader changes from one place to many - each of your templates goes only to one place. And I'm assuming you don't have other 3rd party image maps for the wings that you want to swap out the shaders but still use those maps.

Using VSS will be more work, not less work, then simply editing the target materials directly.

I actually understood what you said :)

Assuming when you say I don't have anything to benefit by using VSS on the wings that you mean whether I use 4 material zones or just 1, I'm going to stop here.

I thought by editing the VSS shader to work on the wings and the millennium cat, I could brighten them up like VSS does to V4's skin. But it seems there is much more to the process than creating the right material zone and nodes: You actually have to create an entirely different shader/node set up for the wings than what is already there.  I'm not up to doing that. Not because I don't want to, but because I don't understand the material room well enough to go beyond tweaking dials, copying existing setups, and adding an image map.

Thanks for all of your help on this BB :)

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi