Forum: Blender

Subject: Poser Tools for Blender 2.5

Reddog9 opened this issue on Jun 10, 2011 · 164 posts

kobaltkween posted Wed, 27 July 2011 at 1:30 PM

yay! big thanks!  ok, this is what i've found so far:

the exporter, as far as i can tell, works great.   woohoo!

the importer seems to have some difficulties on my system i haven't quite gotten a grasp on yet.  it could import the Ruins of Alecto geometries OK, but not the textures.  checking on the prop file, the path only referred to folder within the Textures folder.  no clue why, but it seems a few DAZ items do this.  same issue with an arch from BRC_Cloisters, but again, not the textures and the textures have that weird truncated referrence.  if i can figure out how to do some batch file editing, i probably will.  the weirder instance was when i tried to import the SoulBringer staff by Aery Soul.  i'd chosen that because it had a proper texture reference, case sensitivity and all.  but it couldn't find that geometry.  i'm not sure why, as the reference seemed to be correct. 

what's really awesome is that it pulled in a whole bunch of items at once using one of those multi-prop .pp2s.  even if i have to take some time to deal with textures, well, i end up having to take time to deal with each material in Poser anyway. 

so it may be that now what's necessary for me to get optimal performance is batch editing of .pp2s to normalize everything.  which i'm not surprised by.   i'll probably do some more testing later to figure out what i can change to make the importer happier.  that said, as much as i want to work in Blender, i know that's not the common approach.  and until PyNodes return to the main release, i'll probably still use Matmatic (and therefore Firefly).   i'm not even sure yet how to make textures work in the renderers i want to try, anyway.   as far as i can tell, the exporter will make my life much easier all on its own as i make Poser props for myself and others.  and i'm not overly worried about textures, to be honest.  it would make life more convenient, but it's a much bigger deal to master lighting and materials anyway. 

just as an fyi, there's a "Drop to ground" script for Blender.  i haven't tried it yet, but it's supposed to drop objects to the surface of another object you designate as ground.   just thought i'd mention it since it might help with setting up scenes in Blender.