Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Alienware computer for rendering

LanceB opened this issue on Jul 29, 2011 · 16 posts

seachnasaigh posted Sat, 30 July 2011 at 4:05 AM

Lance, that was probably a reference to Poser Pro 2010.  It is the current 64bit capable version of Poser.  The earlier Poser Pro will render in 64bit, but scene setup, dynamic cloth simulation, etc., all run in 32bit.

Poser 8, Poser 7, and all earlier versions are strictly 32bit.  If you are getting a 64bit system, you want Poser Pro 2010.

Alienware is an expensive brand, but they are meticulous about workmanship and have superb customer service in my experience.  So, I would neither encourage someone to it nor dissuade them from it.  Consider the price versus the hardware, etc., and make a measured decision.

My laptop Pixie is the "Ripley" chassis, and was one of the first to have 64bit OS, Quadro (3600M) video card, 8GB RAM, and a Blu-Ray burner.  The processor is a now-unremarkable dual core (non HyperThreaded).  You can get considerably better than this now.

I have had Pixie run at full processor capacity -rendering- for days at a time, with no problem.

I also have a 64bit "Aurora" chassis desktop (named Galadriel), with the core i7 H/T quad, 12GB RAM, and a Quadro FX5800 video card.  The chassis is water cooled.  Galadriel has often done days-long render assignments.

With the Boxx workstation (Cameron), I have had several instances in which a RAID hard drive seemed to die;  it was actually just a ratty connector at the motherboard, but Windows still has to go through the hours-long process of restoring redundancy after such an event.

P.S.  the secretary at the firehouse loves the colorful glowy Alienware.  ^^  She thought it was great that I could make it pulsate in pink for her. :D

Poser 12, in feet.  

OSes:  Win7Prox64, Win7Ultx64

Silo Pro 2.5.6 64bit, Vue Infinite 2014.7, Genetica 4.0 Studio, UV Mapper Pro, UV Layout Pro, PhotoImpact X3, GIF Animator 5