Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: WIP: My first model with Wings3D

rokket opened this issue on Aug 28, 2011 · 48 posts

rokket posted Sat, 03 September 2011 at 12:10 PM

Quote - > Quote - Thank you so much! There is a lot to digest there. I appreciate you taking the time to point out my rookie mistakes!

Thats are not misstakes, maybe small improvements ;). I do not know how to write it correct, but I think Wings and Poser read edges angles different way. Wings object create artifacts in Poser very often and I still do not know how to remove them.

Example on picture. Bump map is different on each polygon (see bottom of sofa). They are visible when "smooth polygon" is on and off.

I hope, that within few months you help resolve artifact problem :)

Yeah, I see what you mean, it's making the molding on th bottom look like it's several different pieces instead of one smooth piece. I don't have enough experience to offer any advice, so I won't.

The back of the ship is labled as the stern sheet. I don't know if I want to divide it up, but I was thinking I might just so I can round it off. I have added another section to the underbelly of the ship, and an aft set of wings. I am not really going to bother with putting vertices on the engines because they will be rendered out in post with exhaust effects. I am also thinking of adding in some thruster engines and windows, once I figure out how to do texture mapping.

Over in the Wings3D forum, LaurieA gave me a link to a video tutorial on UV mapping that  I downloaded and watched a few times. I am going to try that later on and see if I can apply what he is doing to my model.

One problem I seem to be having is the UV mapping not recognizing when I rename the parts. The obj. files are still the default names, and I can't seem to figure out how to change that. So that will be my main focus for the present: learn to use Wings' Uv mapper and figure out how to make the part names transfer to the UV map so it's easier to apply the textures I want.

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.