Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Victoria 5 coming soon??

ghosty12 opened this issue on Oct 15, 2011 · 252 posts

lmckenzie posted Mon, 17 October 2011 at 6:11 AM

"P.S.: probably I am a paranoid in need of medications, but, at least, I am NOT a sorry dickhead."

Ah, the problems of self-diagnosis. Just when I worry that I'm getting carried away, someone raises the bar. 

"Brand loyalty is just punishing yourself."

Too true. In fairness though I think there's more going on than mere brand loyalty. One, the low-mid range 3D figure applications market is pretty much limited to the two players here. Any gain for one is perceived as a loss for the other. Two, the past relationship was that Daz needed Poser to survive. Poser could have survived without Daz. That power equation may or may not be changing, but it makes people uncomfortable.  Beyond brand loyalty, IMO, this is now becoming about betrayal, resentment (rational or not), fear (legitimate or not) and all that stuff Shakesphere liked to riff on.

It used to be fun to make sport of Daz and their products but now, it's gotten serious because we may finally be seeing whether content rules. Frankly, I don't think the masses give a rat's patootie about weight mapping, SubD, SSS etc. They just want the latest Vickie. It's less about the current denizens of their respective armed camps than it is about the next generation. They will look at the applications and the content that each vendor offers and make their decision on which one to support. Oftentimes, technological parity, or even superiority, has taken a backseat to content with consumers (as opposed to aficionados). It’s certainly laudable for the Poser community to contribute to the content side of the equation, but it really should be up to SM to lead that effort. Their decision might just determine whether Poser users find themselves in the position of the defeated slave owner who was greeted by his former bondsman with, "Howdy Massa. Bottom rail on top, this time." Heh, heh, don’t worry, just had to get that quote in somehow ÷) 

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken