Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Are die-hard Poser users going to switch to Daz Studio for VIvky 5?

drifterlee opened this issue on Nov 02, 2011 · 273 posts

JoePublic posted Thu, 03 November 2011 at 9:49 AM

"In spite of all the efforts, nobody can seem to match the Victoria series for flexibility - not only in joints, but in morphs. Until someone can break the morphability factor, well, Vicky is going to be pretty much 'it' for a long time to come."

I can solve that riddle for you, Pengi.

I worked with (i.e. I dissassemblied, modified, re-rigged and put back together) pretty much every mesh available in the Poserverse.

And the one thing that sets DAZ meshes apart from all the others are their edgeloops following closely all the basic muscle groups.

A mesh built that way can morph from muscle-clad bodybuilder to sexy chick to toddler without the need for displacement maps or ultra-high mesh density.

Beginners OTOH usually build a figure as a regular net, erroneously believing that a purist "all quads of similar size only" mesh would be easier to morph and render.

They also start with a female shape, despite that it's much easier morphing a male mesh into a female than vice versa.

Pre-Genesis, neither the rigging or the mapping, nor the sculpting or even the morphing of the DAZ meshes was actually that good. But the  mesh topology with the built in muscularity allowed them a much greater flexibility compared to all the other meshes.

Even the most advanced non-Poser - non-DAZ figure, Apollo MAX, failed because he always looked puffy and lacked the superior bodydetail of the DAZ meshes.

The problem is, the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and Genesis meshes haven been so refined and optimized over the years it's hard if not impossible to create a mesh with similar efficient topology without outright copying it. There are only so much ways to sculpt a human with the lowest possible amount of vertices yet the highest possible amount of detail.

BTW, the "best" DAZ-like non-DAZ mesh around is the P4 Dork. Which is hardly surprising as he is the Zygote male  M2 and M3 are based on.

If I were to create an anti-Genesis mesh based on a non-DAZ mesh, this is were I'd start.