Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Are die-hard Poser users going to switch to Daz Studio for VIvky 5?

drifterlee opened this issue on Nov 02, 2011 · 273 posts

Penguinisto posted Thu, 03 November 2011 at 4:11 PM

Quote - gi. I worked with (i.e. I dissassemblied, modified, re-rigged and put back together) pretty much every mesh available in the Poserverse.

And the one thing that sets DAZ meshes apart from all the others are their edgeloops following closely all the basic muscle groups.

A mesh built that way can morph from muscle-clad bodybuilder to sexy chick to toddler without the need for displacement maps or ultra-high mesh density.

Beginners OTOH usually build a figure as a regular net, erroneously believing that a purist "all quads of similar size only" mesh would be easier to morph and render.

Exactly.

Now if someone could get hold of (and permission to Poserize) meshes from the MakeHuman project, you'd have one hell of a winner (IIRC they do the same concept, but in even more detail, and they're downright crazy about it).

Quote - The problem is, the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and Genesis meshes haven been so refined and optimized over the years it's hard if not impossible to create a mesh with similar efficient topology without outright copying it. There are only so much ways to sculpt a human with the lowest possible amount of vertices yet the highest possible amount of detail.

I kind of disagree (see also the MakeHuman meshes I referred to earlier, which pre-dates Genesis, and I think V4 and possibly has the same rough birth date as V3.)

OTOH, you are right in that you're only going to have a couple variants at most on the optimum of polycount versus morphability.

Quote - BTW, the "best" DAZ-like non-DAZ mesh around is the P4 Dork. Which is hardly surprising as he is the Zygote male  M2 and M3 are based on. If I were to create an anti-Genesis mesh based on a non-DAZ mesh, this is were I'd start.

Strange that you'd pick that. Not that I disagree, but I'd love to know why, aside from the Zygote angle. I never thought it was that close to human musculature.