Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Pose2Lux

LaurieA opened this issue on Feb 13, 2011 · 1102 posts

Snarlygribbly posted Fri, 04 November 2011 at 12:48 PM

The built-in definitions have not been documented yet.

Some background:

I'm not expert (by any means) on materials but Pose2Lux obviously needed some defined, so I made some based on a little understanding, some educated guesswork and, well   ... some uneducated guesswork!

It was never the intention that the final version of Pose2Lux would stick with these initial definitions but they have remained so far because other work on Pose2Lux seemed more important.

Anyway ...

What this means is that there is no intention to document these temporary materials. I want to put together an online working group of those interested in the Pose2Lux materials and have the group help me make a new, definitive set of materials for the Pose2Lux Pro v1.0 release. Hopefully the group members would bring greater knowledge and understanding of materials to the revision of the materials than I am able to, and so ensure that the final version of Pose2Lux has a comprehensive and effective collection of matrerials in its libraries.

It is these final materials which will be documented in an Appendix to the manual.

But ...

Pose2Lux is open source, and the material definitions can be found in the code. I realise this is not ideal, but it may be a useful starting point for some.

The following comments use line number references from v0.8.5:

The material definitions begin on line 7622

There is the name of the material (e.g. "Basic/Matte") in the form of LibraryName/MaterialName.

This is followed by some data regarding backface generation (e.g. (False, 0)) and then the Luxrender material type (e.g. "matte")

What then follows is five boolean (True/False) values. It is these values which determine which Poser channels are used. In order, they are:

1. Use the imagemap plugged into the diffuse channel

2. Use the color data from the diffuse channel

3. Use the specular channel

4. Use the bump channel

5. Use the reflection channel

Also, some materials have additional, more specific definitions in the section ('LibIndices') starting at line 7770. Here you can find the names of the Pose2Lux materials followed by a series of statements which get added to the Luxrender material definition.

I'm happy to elaborate upon this if you want, and to answer any specific questions.

PS: Perhaps you'd be interested in being invited onto the working group?

Free stuff @ https://poser.cobrablade.net/