Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Are die-hard Poser users going to switch to Daz Studio for VIvky 5?

drifterlee opened this issue on Nov 02, 2011 · 273 posts

Netherworks posted Fri, 04 November 2011 at 1:28 PM

Here's my take on superiority.  In my own "opinion" (as I don't dare say what the average user wants or doesn't want... I'd like to see the data) Poser has the features overall that draw me to it.  I feel it's lighting (and light control), rendering, material system and library are far better.  I also favor its choice of Python as s scripting language because I find it easier to learn and implement and I've looked at both systems.

I'm not a figure-centric though so I'm not on the quest for the ultimate figure (speaking of human figures).  So that means that I am not only looking at DS for what Genesis can do.

I'd say that right now DS has an advantage in the figure department but only on the surface and only because a comparable figure is not yet available that is oriented towards Poser.  Only on the surface means that in order to really support Genesis, one must invest in the DS toolset.  You can plop out the Genesis figure via export but then what do you do with it?  If you decide to design Poser-based content for it, you have to expect everyone else to plop out Genesis in the same way.  This feels like a recipe for disaster.

The GUIs of both DS and Poser can be customized.  You can whittle it down to its most basic parts in both.  In Poser, there's no reason why you have to have every single panel displayed.  As far as the feel of both of those, while Poser might have a neutral or gray look, I find it to not detract from work in the scene and I can hide out the chunky, over user-friendly bits (like the Camera Controls panel - same controls are on the preview panel).  DS3 I could live with.  DS4 on the other hand feels to me that the idea is that the general audience is nearly blind and requires "Skittles" (or "Fisher-Price", if you prefer) colored controls to understand anything.  I was actually shocked on my first look at it.

All in all, I think it's kind of silly to choose a platform based solely on it's native figure or figures.  To me it's a tool set that I am going to work with and expand on.  If DS provides what you find to be important, go DS.  If not, go Poser.  If none of the above, go with whatever else you enjoy using.  It's not rocket science.