Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Are die-hard Poser users going to switch to Daz Studio for VIvky 5?

drifterlee opened this issue on Nov 02, 2011 · 273 posts

Penguinisto posted Mon, 07 November 2011 at 8:30 AM

Quote -  My take on it is that she thinks Poser has a much broader base than us pinup-obsessed hobbyists. We are welcome, but we aren't the main demographic. People complain that Judy, Alyson, etc., are ugly...but maybe that's what other users want. An ordinary-looking person, not a supermodel or amazon babe.

The problem is not the pinup vs. "ordinary looking person". That's just completely ignoring/misreading what everyone has said in this thread about the mesh, and IMHO the argument sounds petulant.

Let me spell this out as simply as I can:

The problem with Poser is that the default female and male meshes are severely limited to look like they are, and that's pretty much what you're stuck with.  You can't really do much of anything with the default poser meshes beyond their existing shapes and looks, period. Yes, there's the face room, the morph brush, magnets, yadda yadda... and they all require a metric buttload of work to accomplish something that doesn't look completely horrific. That's work that damned few pros in this realm will bother with doing, let alone the masses.

By contrast, you can take the Vicky 4 (yes, "four") mesh and make it an ordinary person or a pinup model - your pick. From Anorexic to Zaftig, tender girl to wrinkled hag, cup sizes from Twiggy to Dolly Parton, and a face that can be practically anything you want the damned thing to be... even male! And here's the kicker: It only takes a couple of dial spins to get those results. From what I've seen of the Genesis mesh, you can now throw body height and literal body size into the mix w/o borking the joints. Again, just a couple of dial spins to get it.

By contrast, Poser makes you go to a "room" or two, where you have to patiently use slow-to-react tools and tweaks, or have to spend all day dorking around with magnets, just to get what you want. 

This, right here, is why Poser relies on DAZ for its long-term survival, and why any upcoming non-compatibilities with ol' Vicky will threaten that survival.

Smith Micro and its team can solve the problem, but they're going to have to do something they never through possible: They're going to have to break out the checkbook and hire some modelers. No, not just contract someone to crap out a single-purpose set-in-concrete figure or two, but to make a serious base mesh. 

Will they do it? Probably not. Will the community step up? Maybe, but they're going to have to take the existing community models and make them a lot more flexible (in morphability, not joints) than they are now. For the male side, Apollo Max is almost a perfect drop-in, with maybe a bit more flexiblity in the face. For the female side, I'm sorry, but Antonia will need the same kind of morphablity that Apollo has, and a face that can be as shapeable as the V-series meshes.

...see? It has bupkis to do with bazongas, bewbs, mammaries, or the like, and everything to do with the basics.