Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: V4 Theoretical Physicist/Cardiac Surgeon/Astronaut

MacMyers opened this issue on Nov 07, 2011 · 79 posts

basicwiz posted Sun, 13 November 2011 at 9:38 AM

The business model of asking a vendor to custom make an item is, imho, a very valid one. I've done this a number of times.

In several cases, the vendor was willing to make the piece, but didn't think it had any commercial value. In those cases, I paid around $150 for each of the items. Yes, it was a goodly price. Yes, I use those items quite often, so it was worth it. It was a pittance against the 8-10K I've already spent on other Poser materials.

In several other cases, the vendor took what I wanted as a suggestion, and I actually got it for free for suggesting something that wound up making her some money!

Then there is the hybrid, underway right now, where the vendor is willing to make the piece for sale as long as I pay a premium for the first one.

Last but not least, one VERY kind lady here in this thread was willing to make a tee shirt that I needed for free. There really are nice people left in the world. You can find a number of them mentioned in the above list of vendors and modellers.

It all comes down to how bad do you want the item. As you can see... if I want something very badly, I'm willing to make it worth someone's while to model it.

As to learning to do it myself... I dunno. I've looked at every modeling program that's been recommended here, and they all seem far, far over my head. (And I'm not stupid... I hold multiple degrees in disciplines as diverse as electronics to psychology!) Perhaps it takes a brain wired in a certain way to be able to understand modelling. Perhaps I've just yet to find the right teacher.

At any rate, I think the community should consider commissions as a valid way to get niche content made. It's fair to everyone involved.

My $.02