Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Hi! DAZ 3D wants to chat.

DAZ_Rand opened this issue on Dec 09, 2011 ยท 1133 posts

who3d posted Fri, 09 December 2011 at 7:36 PM

Quote - I use V4, always have and always will, unless a new, better figure comes that can be used in Poser 7 (and no, I cannot upgrade, because I use both Poser 7 and Vue 6, which supports up to Poser 7 only. So my only choices would be paying around $1400 to get the latest version of both, or making my workflow drastically more complex by adding DS, using obj conversions, etc, which I have no intention of doing). So basically, for people like me, all this means is that each time I browse the DAZ site, I see less and less usable items, which simply means I go there less and less. I can understand some people wanting to try new figures and making clothes for it, but by not making them compatible with V4 it just means it's not usable by me and others.

This is an age-old problem - and not just in the world of 3D either. A lot of this was pointed out to DAZ prior to DS4 "release" IIRC, and the problem is that although it's a COMPLETELY VALID problem, no company can afford to avoid progress perpetually. With progress comes, among other things, incompatability.

That's why I can't play "Lode Runner" on my Windows XP machine - because it relied on Windows 3, and things have moved on since then. We all of us have a choice - to try to keep up, or to settle in at our chosen level.

I can't dissagree with DAZ wanting to move on from Mil4 tech - though I think they could have done so a little more elegantly, with better Poser compatability IMHO. Much about Genesis looks fun, to be honest. Better communication with SM earlier on might have been helpful, and better/more/clearer disclosure from DAZ. I think there's romm for improvements on both sides - DAZ could do more to make Genesis Poser-friendly, and compatible post-posing SubD from Smith Micro needn't only benefit Genesis - I can see how that could be useful for Poser on a wider basis too.

So I don't ask for DAZ to stop improving - but it would be nice if they improved things more evenly, with fewer missteps (like poor documentation, or releases that break features that previously worked).