Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Hi! DAZ 3D wants to chat.

DAZ_Rand opened this issue on Dec 09, 2011 ยท 1133 posts

Silke posted Sat, 10 December 2011 at 2:45 AM

Let me say this right up front. I appreciate Daz trying to communicate.

For me, it's far too late, because that bridge burned down back in the V5 Beta testing stage, when all of a sudden it went to "Install DS and Genesis to work with her".
Ditched, right that second. Told them it will not endear the Poser community to them if it's not usable in Poser.
I was shot down by rabid DS users, while some of the more level headed DS users also expressed concerns.

I've saved myself an awful lot of money by not getting any of the Genesis stuff. And I'm sure a whole lot of Poser users like me tightened their purse strings as well. It's gotta hurt.
The community is divided into two camps: Genesis and non Genesis users. It has nothing to do with DS or Poser, it has to do with the way it's been handled.
Not by Daz, or SM, but by the users themselves. DS users are their own worst enemy sometimes, and I'm avoiding the Daz forums these days. I'm fed up with flippant "Daz is doing things, you should talk to SM about this." replies. Or "Just use DS." Extremely fed up with it.
I don't want to use DS. Poser is my weapon of choice. I can do things in Poser easily, efficiently and the end result is (usually) exactly what I set out to do.
DS? I have tried to use DS and had nothing but problems with the software. I bought DS3A, and it crashed almost constantly on my machine. Every "fix" made it worse and I wrote it off. Period. I spent something like $160 on the software and you can't blame me for not falling into the trap of "Get DS4 Advanced" again.
Unfortunately I couldn't return the blasted thing because the return period expired while I was away. Not Daz's fault, but it still leaves me sour that I have effectively bought a piece of junk, along with a bunch of plugins, which raise that pricetag to well over $250 -- because I believed the hype. I'm an idiot, what can I say.
I won't give it another chance just so I can use a figure that doesn't work in my program of choice. For one thing, it's money I don't have to waste. There is no guarantee that DS4A will run on my system. I loathe this "Content Management Service" that is permanently running, whether I use DS4 or not. It put me off right from the word go.
Leaving a service running when you shut down the program is dirty programming. I don't understand why Daz can't shut the thing down when I close the software.
Adobe does the same thing, but it doesn't bother me as much, because I use Photoshop every day, several times a day.
DS? Definitely not.
I don't like it, I've never liked it, I hate the GUI, I can't find anything, it kept crashing continuously (I never finished a single render). Worse, there is ZERO documentation.
I never had a problem installing content for Poser. It's pretty straightforward and I'd say there is no confusion over where to install things. I have asked numerous times where to install DS plugins, where they have to live in order to work, where and how I can organize content so I A: Find it, B: Can use it.
I never got an answer that explained the DS structure. I just had folders all over the place and I had no idea which I actually needed. Well, the one thing I don't need is a bloated runtime and I hated the DS install with a vengeance, because it was so messy.
I gave it a chance despite not being completely convinced it was for me. I tried, and it turned me off the program, period. Frankly, that's more than I can say about those rabid DS users who keep telling me DS is the "superior" software. I'd wager 99% of those users have never used Poser.
So that's my reason for not using DS. But a LOT of my dislike comes down to the DS user base being obnoxious the moment you say you use Poser.

As for Genesis... Neat idea, but even with the exporter I would end up with a substandard version because of the subdivision. Which is just another reason for me not to pay attention to it, or to invest a single penny.

At this stage, the best thing you could do for Poser users is have a Poser V5 version, one that is weight mappable in Poser. We all know that won't happen, so you'll have to bite the bullet and face facts: Poser users will not buy V5 or anything Genesis, unless it works 100% in Poser.

Of course, even if you did develop a Poser only version...it would be far too late by the time it were available. Look at Antonia. The Poser community is already working on a figure that is extremely versatile, and there is still a lot more to come, and... Antonia is free.
She's being developed by people who use Poser exclusively, so she takes advantage of everything in Poser.
Just like Genesis takes advantage of DS technology.

I think this "rift" is going to widen, unless users on both ends can stop tearing into each other, and there is more communication as to what is really happening -- and that goes for both SM and Daz.

Sorry, long post, but that's where I stand.
Firmly on the Poser 2012 side. I am only buying prop content at Daz (if there are good props, which usually there are), nothing else. Definitely no Genesis.
Consider myself alienated by your decision to make a figure that's only usuable in your own software. I don't blame you for it, but it did make me look elsewhere for content. (And I'm sure stores like Rendo and RDNA are very happy about that, btw. I buy a lot of it there now.)

edit Fixing typos

Silke