Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Hi! DAZ 3D wants to chat.

DAZ_Rand opened this issue on Dec 09, 2011 · 1133 posts

kerwin posted Sun, 11 December 2011 at 12:10 AM

Quote - Reading Kerwin's rig specs makes me feel like I live in the stone ages, LOL!

I saved for three years to build that rig myself.   I had to shovel coal into my previous workstation.  (Kept the office nice and warm, though . . .)   Zbrush tends to like a lot of CPU and memory (you can get away with less, but I do a lot of tight deadline stuff these days for my day job(s), so I'm making back just enough to afford that little bit of luxury.  (I'm certainly not making enough on Poser/DS4 assets to justify that rig.)

Lots of single board workstations with I7 (second series) are going cheap these days and I can't believe how cheap memory has become.   I paid less than $150 for the 24GB Corsair kit.

I remember buying my first 5MB (that's megabytes) hard drive for my BBS in 1985 for $1000!   Computers seem cheap today!   There seems to be more compute power in my telephone now than the computer I learned to program on.   (In those days we programmers would don our leopard skins and take down a wolly mammoth for the clan dinner before writing another 100 lines of assembly code.)  Those were the real stone ages.  You kids today with your iPhones, and your pagers, and your fax machines, and the pierced-I-don't-know-whats don't know how good you have it!   (I'm now having a bad case of grumpy-old-programmer-syndrome and have to lie down.)

:D

-K