Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Hi! DAZ 3D wants to chat.

DAZ_Rand opened this issue on Dec 09, 2011 · 1133 posts

kyoto_kid posted Sat, 24 December 2011 at 3:17 PM

...I have to agree with ManleyStanley. Daz would be shooting both of their feet clean off if a customer couldn't log onto their store and purchase/DL content the way we do now. They make specific mention of being a Poser content resource which would be contradicted if Poser users are unable to manually log in and order content.

Even if I do eventually purchase and install Studio4, I will first uninstall the CMS and close the auto download link as I just do not trust any system that, 1. requires I be logged on the net (this taking up extra processor and memory resources), and 2. automatically initiates a download and installs a file on my system without my intervention (especially if it involves auto transfers from my bank account).  I wouldn't be surprised if my security suite detected such a setup as a threat.

I purchase all my software through legitimate sources. I am against WAREZ sites and hackers because those who make content and plugins rarely if ever earn enough for the work they put into their creations. As one vendor once outlined, when a brokering store takes a 50% cut of the price, it can require a lot of sales just to recoup the cost for all the time involved in modelling, rigging, texturing, and testing.

Try to have a custom model made.  It can cost upwards of 1,000$ or more depending on complexity and usage rights. Currently I'm in discussion with one artist concerning a small chamber pipe organ I need for scenes in my storyline.  As I have played the instrument, I am somewhat particular and the few examples I have seen from the commercial vendors don't come close at all.  Most likely I will end up paying around 100USD for and untextured, unrigged .obj.  Considering that this person also works for an organ builder, his models are very authentic and thus in my book, well worth the price. 

Back to the issue, the notion of dealing with some sort of "content police" by having to verify the legitimacy of content in my runtime before I work on a scene sounds just a little too "Orwellian" for me. The total cloud service is a bad idea (for reasons mentioned above) and will only hurt rather than help Daz's sales as it would lock out anyone who doesn't use the latest version of Daz Studio.

...forsaken daughter is watching you.

[Intel Xeon 5660 Hyperthreading 6 core CPU, 24GB GSkill Ripjaws 1333 DDR3 Tri Channel RAM, Nvidia Titan-X GPU with 12GB GDDR5 & 3072 cores, 1 x AData 240 GB SSD (boot) + 1 x 2TB HDD, EGVA 850 G5 PSU Antec P-193 with more fans than Justin Bieber.]