Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Poser 2008 or Genesis

Michaelab opened this issue on Dec 29, 2011 · 122 posts

Male_M3dia posted Wed, 04 January 2012 at 9:09 AM

Quote - I'm not stuck on one program-or strongly anti anything. I am really enjoying PPro2012!

One of the things I most admired with Genesis was the natural bending- which is largely due to weight mapping. P9/Pro2012 have weight mapping. The free figure AntoniaWM- bends very well-and efforts are ongoing to Weight map V4- look at the RDNA forums for examples-she is approaching Genesis in natural bending. For me-the ability to morph one mesh into anything-is interesting-and impressive-but not absolutely compelling

Since I use multiple software packages as it is-I thought I'd give Genesis a "spin" with the free version of DS4 a few months ago.  I was impressed-but not with the rendering. I understood DS4 Advanced was able to use Image based lighting, HDRI, etc.

Comment: I took advantage of sale and Plat Club and bought Studio4Advanced a few days ago. Unfortunately, it is a crashomatic- on my Mac.It took me 4 tries to load and texture V5 (Genesis)- then the UberSurface render was black.

My suggested solution is to upgrade to Mac OSX 10.7- but that would make other programs I use-crash. It seems to be stable on SOME Mac's with 10.7- and not others.

If you run an INTEL PC with the latest versions of Windows-you'll probably be OK. I understand AMD is a no go- but that is only a light survey on my part.

If I can get a refund for DS4Advanced- I'll keep V5 and play in the free version-I can always export to another program to render.

I have a i7 Macbook pro with 10.6 and Windows 7 machine with a core duo2 quad processor and DS4 works on both; haven't had the issues of crashing or ubersurface that you have had. And the later versions of DS4 has been a lot more stable with surface settings than the earlier versions.

But the when people compare Genesis with Poser 9/2012, the first thing they say is "Well poser has weight mapping too." Genesis is NOT about the weight mapping... it is about the morphs and what you can do with it. The weightmapping comes in when you talk about how what you create bends. That is the big difference. With Gen4 characters, most of the morphing stayed at the head, because if you tried to morph the body, then either you would have to create clothing that fit the new morphs, create magnets, or have have clothing that have those fits in them. Even extreme morphs, such as heavy, had issues because you would have poke through. Dimension3D's morphing clothes was a good investment because not every clothing item that you bought may not have all the morphs that you would use, and even then, I've had issues with inner thigh poke through. Also custom body shapes may need quite a few JCMs to fix issues when they bend as well.

I've found in Genesis that if I can change the way the body looks, such as if i think the thighs are too big, breasts aren't perky enough, needs longer or shorter legs or chest, or the butt or sternum needs to be adjusted I can change it and I don't have to ask content providers to make clothing for my new morph or learn how to make fits myself. The clothing still fits... and that's a big thing for those that don't like to work with making clothing fits and allows people to be more creative with their characters. You can make characters with hooved feet or alien bodies, or cartoon character and not have to worry about how much support that character gets from clothing creators.