Forum: 3D Modeling

Subject: "What 3D Program Should I buy?"

diolma opened this issue on Jan 12, 2012 · 21 posts

PJared posted Sat, 14 January 2012 at 5:33 AM

How about checking out the video tutorial samples for some of the sofware. For example:

The GnomonWorkshop

GeeksAtPlay

Lynda.com

Digital Tutors

VTC

Dream-Lounge (DazStudio Only)

InfiniteSkills

They have sample video's for the basics of the apps.  You get a feel for the workspace and workflow.  Plus, if the tutorial is to your preference, you already have an edge to using the app.  Even though your retired, you can go back to school and takes some fun couses and qualify for student discounts on the software.

For envrionment software I tried Bryce then went to a couple of versions of Vue but went to Carrara and Poser.  For modelers I went from Shade to Maya to Rhino to Hexagon.  As a fellow hobbyist, I don't work in the industry so opted to user freindly.  For software, it boils down to personal preferrence with the GUI and the tools available in the app.

For hardware, the 'common' hardware available is better than it was years ago.  My old custom rigs (QuadCore, 12+ GB RAM, with dual graphics cards) are out dated compared to the new basic stuff.  The new 64-bit versions of the software are significantly faster than the older 32-bit versions.