Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Fake vs Real

Coleman opened this issue on Jan 20, 2012 · 85 posts

Eric Walters posted Sat, 21 January 2012 at 3:55 PM

Hi BB

If it's not a renderer limitation-but just my improper understanding-maybe you can suggest a solution? When I use HDRI and IDL I don't see a vibrant image when I render. And I'm using some of those 200 mb images from OpenFootageNET. In LW the brightest parts of the image can strongly light a surface-without any Lights in the scene. LW uses 128 bit floating point single precision-but I agree that 32 or 64 should be more than enough dynamic range-so maybe it's something else? I use your envirosphere. I've played with the HSV, and IDL intensity in D3D's render firefly script. How would I go about adding a "contrast" math node to the BB sphere?

Quote - How is the relative contrast of dark and light constrained in Poser? I mean the question literally because I don't understand what you're addressing.

Let me be more specific - the intensity dial can be .001% or 1000%, for any given light.

The math nodes can be used with images allowing you to increase or decrease the amplitude of any prop-based lighting object by any factor you want, up to at least 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 ... keep adding zeros until there are 37 of them.

I say "at least" this many zeros because that is the dynamic range of single-precision (32-bit) floating point numbers. I actually believe Poser uses bigger floating point (64-bit or 80-bit) numbers, which would make the dynamic range even more huge. But I don't have time to go prove that at the moment, so I'm going with the "smaller" number 10^38.