Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: How to transfer weight map from character to clothing?

amy_aimei opened this issue on Jan 23, 2012 · 17 posts

Cage posted Mon, 23 January 2012 at 11:36 PM

The weight map transfer to clothing or other figures seems to work fairly well, but with some limitations.  The transfer only works between actors with the same names in both figures.  So if you have an atypical figure setup (say, a figure with an extra actor layer over one of the normal body parts), the maps won't be transferred to actors not found in the cr2 from which you're transferring the weights.  As far as I can tell, this is true with any Wardrobe Wizard weight transfers, as well.

The transferred weights can also require extensive editing if the figure and the clothing are not cut similarly to one another.  I've tried converting some pants for Antonia-Standard to Antonia-WM, but the shins on the pants are cut too high and the resulting weights are unusable.

I rather hope they'll refine the weight transfer processes a bit in future updates, or someone will write a utility which can more effectively project the weights from one figure to another in circumstances like these.  I think the basic mesh comparison portions of Morphing Clothes could be effective for this (Dimension3D, are you listening?), but the comparisons would be too slow to be feasible without some kind of compiled program.  Which is to say, the process probably isn't a good candidate for a pure Poser Python script, unless a .dll or .pyd is written to speed things up.  :(

===========================sigline======================================================

Cage can be an opinionated jerk who posts without thinking.  He apologizes for this.  He's honestly not trying to be a turkeyhead.

Cage had some freebies, compatible with Poser 11 and below.  His Python scripts were saved at archive.org, along with the rest of the Morphography site, where they were hosted.