Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: How to set up a data base search site?

Acadia opened this issue on Feb 01, 2012 · 19 posts

Acadia posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 3:50 AM

Quote - So, when you ran a query, what got returned? Was it a Google type list of links or was it more customized with a thumbnail, site, price, etc.

What got returned were hyperlinked thumbnails for the item.  You clicked on the thumbnail and it took you to the download page for the item.  And it was "anti-warez", meaning it didn't pull up the warez sites that host Poser related, or 3D related items. Just legit sites.

I do use "Mystic Nights" search, but it only pulls up freebie items, not commercial, and it displays as a link to the entire site with a word list of freebies that can be found on that site, with the item you are possibly looking for, highlighted.

"Whatever3D" showed only hyperlinked thumbnails of the item you were searching for IE: waterfall, gauntlets, fairy wings, cars, chairs etc etc etc.  There was no size, but I think it showed the price or at the very least whether it was free or commercial. I can't exactly remember how that part worked.  I just know when I searched for "telephone", it showed me a bunch of thumbnails with telephones on it, so I could see if any of the found items was what I was looking for at a glance.

Also, I noticed that there were a few sites around Poser that Whatever3D didn't display from:  Daz3D, RDNA, Planit3D, 3D Commune (when it was around).  So either they weren't added to Dodger's list, or they had some kind of "Robots.txt" file on their site preventing a search engine from searching it.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi