Forum: The MarketPlace Wishing Well

Subject: Dinosaurs and All Things Prehistoric

MNArtist opened this issue on Jan 12, 2012 ยท 106 posts

MNArtist posted Fri, 10 February 2012 at 10:50 PM

Back to plants for a moment.

Imx3d found this site that has a great set of cycads that are available as obj and .vob (for one price) which means they can be used in Poser

http://www.silva3d.com/product.php?id_product=48

And Cornucopia3d released a nice looking Monkey Puzzle (Araucaria) Tree this week, which is a "must-have" for Mesozoic renders in Vue (I'd made my own version earlier, but this looks much better and is only $2 USD)

Here's the rules I use for prehistoric plants, other can chime in and correct me where I'm mistaken:

Pre-Triassic: Ferns, Conifers, Mosses, Horsetails. That's about it. Even cycads didn't evolve until the early Triassic. I know this sounds really restrictive, and it is. But it's the reality of what had developed. There were also large club mosses, but as near as I can tell, we don't have any models of those.

Triassic & Jurassic: Same as above, but add cycads.

Early Cretaceous: Same as Triassic and Jurassic

Late Cretaceous: Same as above, but you can add deciduous trees and some grasses, but limited. There were no broad grass prairies as today. You can also add some flowers as they began to evolve in the mid-Cretaceous. NOTE: NO PALM TREES!! There's a tendency to want to show dinosaurs in tropical settings, and while the climate was tropical in many parts of the world, palm trees did not evolve until after the end of the Cretaceous (this is a relatively new discovery for me. Many of my older renders use them).

Tertiary and earlier: Pretty much any modern plants

Enough for now. Anyone else have thoughts?