Forum: Bryce

Subject: Question about the challenge

Mugie opened this issue on Feb 09, 2012 · 18 posts

electroglyph posted Sun, 19 February 2012 at 12:56 PM

The Bryster sets up our entry page. Since this is the February/March challenge look for it around March 25th. A post with the header "A Night at the Movies Entry Page Is Up!" will appear in the forum with a thumbtack next to it. For a while it will be pinned to the top of the forum so it can't move down. You will enter from a link in this post not in the post itself. You should also be able to click on the words Challenge Page at the top of the forum header to get to the entry page.

Your picture should be 800wide by 600tall pixels or less in jpg format. You could choose to make it square but 600x600 is the biggest size. Whatever ratio it must fit inside an 800x600 box. It also must take less than 250kb of memory. Lot's of shifting colors can make your picture memory too big even if it fits inside 800x600 box.

You make your own thumbnail and post it with the entry. Thumbnails are 100x100 pixels, jpg format, and smaller than 15kb memory. The thumbnail can be the entire picture shrunk down or just a portion of the final picture.

There will be a box for text. You should write what the scene is about. No one in the US has heard of 1 1/2 Ritter, We barely know who Tin Tin is. Give us some help by setting up the scene. You should also give credit to imports like Victoria 4 from DAZ or even freebies made by other people. If you built the room yourself in Hexagon then imported it say so. Lastly if you built the room in Bryce and it's not imported, then brag about it in the text.

Nudity Rule: If your image shows bare female breasts, genitalia, or bare buttoxs it's considered nudity by prevailing laws where Renderosity's computers are located. (Nashvilleish, TN USA) You can post the image by clicking the content advisory box for nudity when you upload. There is parential advisory software that will block these images from displaying to children. The thumbnail must not show these portions of the anatomy because the content advisory is on the image not the thumbnail. You can crop to show just the head and sholders, draw black boxes, or post a text with words Content Advisory, Nudity, whatever.

Violence Rule: No spattering fountains of gore or S&M images allowed without content advisories or modified thumbnails. These two are site wide rules covered in Renderosity's terms of service and one of the few pages where pressing the language button actually changes the text. http://www.renderosity.com/tos.php As a german speaker please try this page and tell us if it makes sense.

The winner of the last contest Orbital got to pick the theme for this contest. He got to pick some specific rules and they are listed in another pinned thread at the top of the forum. Sticky: February/March Bryce Challenge - A Night At The Movies - Official Thread

If you read it you will see Orbital said imports and postwork are allowed. Sometimes we have all Bryce challenges where no modifications are allowed. In either case you are allowed to sign your work and it will not be considered postwork.

Imports and postwork, how much? Lot's of people use Poser or DAZ Studio and import people. That's something bryce was set up to do. If you got the DAZ cloud city scene and all you did was change the camera location then it's not really your own work. Content should be imported to set up an entirely new scene. If you can use Bryce then use Bryce.

How about a scene specific to this months challenge: I'd like to show the back of people's heads in a theater watching the screen. The majority of the picture is filled with this screen and the movie is Casablanca. I could import a frame from the movie and paste it up. 70-80% of my image is a photo I spent no time on. The rules allow this but members won't like or vote for it. The correct way to do this would be build the scene using DAZ characters and building Rick's Place out of poser primitives. I could paste this image as the screen image and the render would be 100% mine. The contest is as much about how well you use Bryce as it is about composition.