Forum: Bryce

Subject: Cores and Bryce7Pro?

FranOnTheEdge opened this issue on Mar 21, 2012 ยท 16 posts

AgentSmith posted Fri, 23 March 2012 at 1:42 AM

But...on the other hand...I'll admit, I am a little wary about going with an 8 core. With my current AMD 4 core I had to buy a cpu fan that is the size of a very large grapefruit to keep it cool enough during 4 core, full blast renders, otherwise it would have overheated and fried like bacon probably the very first time I rendered. And, even with that big cpu fan, my temps still go quite close to their maximums.

My current 4 core CPU runs at 125w and I am thinking I would actually go with a 95w, 6 core cpu instead just to take the edge off my anxiety of cpu temps. (I would still use a good, large cpu fan, though! It has really helped with cooling and because its larger, it can run quieter)

Besides, my next PC build I will concentrate more money on tons more ram, a SSD for the main OS drive and then the best video card I can budget. Really after those things, I will look at the cpu. An AMD 6 core, 3.3ghz (95w) cpu is about $150. The programs I use more often these days rely more heavily on ram, drive speed and the video card than they do the cpu.

Contact Me | Gallery | Freestuff | IMDB Credits | Personal Site
"I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now"