Forum: DAZ|Studio

Subject: Reality Render thread. A new beginning.

Pret-a-3D opened this issue on May 14, 2012 · 8453 posts

FyraNyanser posted Wed, 16 May 2012 at 4:00 PM

Quote - Lovely renders but I must ask about the very nice "non-human" skin colour texture work. Customs or just playing with the in-studio channels ontop of pale ones? It is something I struggle with for non-human races, so much less choice in the library and I've not got the handle on tweeking the Diffuse channel as well as I'd like, or I'm using poor bases for the task. Anything you're willing share on that?

Thanks for your comments. The blue and white texture is "straight out of the box" ("Felix" from Animotions). It's just a really well done texture. I struggle with some textures and end up being disappointed with them, and then others "just work"—this is one of them. Frankly, I think if you have got a poor texture set there's little you can do about it. There's a lot of talk about shaders, HSS, and what have you, but you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

The green fellow, though is a standard DAZ human texture (although it's an "Elite"—"Stratton" and these are generally pretty good) and the magic is almost entirely to do with Reality/Luxrender. I don't think I ever change the surfaces settings in DAZ; I just let Reality do the conversions and play with all the settings there.

One of the nice things about Reality is that it has the "top coat" shader feature which has a colour property, and that's what I used. I think the idea of "top coat" is that it is like a glaze in ceramics. Although it doesn't have to be tinted, when it is it gives an  effect that is much more subtle and attractive than changing the diffuse colour or tinting the texture directly in an image editor, plus there is a simulation of depth.

Although this looked good to me without any postwork, I cheated a bit here in Photoshop by making a copy of the background layer and blending the two with the "multiply" setting and changing the levels on the base layer only. The main effect of that was to give it that slightly metallic look and making it more contrasty. I don't pretend to any cleverness with this—I just mess about until I get something I like.