Forum: DAZ|Studio

Subject: -- Helping Daz Studio Newbies --

KimberlyC opened this issue on Apr 25, 2012 · 139 posts

kyoto_kid posted Sat, 19 May 2012 at 11:00 PM

...Poser lights will pretty much always show up as Distant Lights (Labeled Light1, Light2... etc) in Daz Studio. They tend to be rather garrish but can be adjusted.  For example, I frequently use a set of Freebie lights from the old "Bonnie Teen" freebie character for V4 when I'm doing character portraits.

What I do is select the specific light and then replace it with a corresponding Daz Studio Spotlight, Distant Light, or Point Light depending on the effect I need. 

As I am still currently working in 32 bit I rarely use UberEnvironment and other IBL lights as they tend to crash the render process due to the larger number of calculations requried.

For those with little experience, lighting a scene can appear daunting. However, one advantage Daz Studio has over other applications is that you are able to "look through" a light as if it were a camera, so aiming is so much simpler.  When I was doing theatriacal lighting, I would have killed for a system like this.  Would have saved a lot of ladder climbs into the flylines.

There are also good tutorials as well

Lighting also doesn't have to be overly complex to be effective.

For example this scene used a total of only five lights (three distant, one spot and one point).

...forsaken daughter is watching you.

[Intel Xeon 5660 Hyperthreading 6 core CPU, 24GB GSkill Ripjaws 1333 DDR3 Tri Channel RAM, Nvidia Titan-X GPU with 12GB GDDR5 & 3072 cores, 1 x AData 240 GB SSD (boot) + 1 x 2TB HDD, EGVA 850 G5 PSU Antec P-193 with more fans than Justin Bieber.]