Forum: DAZ|Studio

Subject: Done with DAZ

manleystanley opened this issue on May 19, 2012 · 119 posts

TJaiman posted Wed, 23 May 2012 at 3:48 AM

Quote - why do say 'assertion'?  are you calling me a liar?

No offence was meant. "Assertion" is not-equal to "liar", at least not in my book.

It's an assertion because you didn't provide any details, nor reason to believe it, in your previous post.

Now that there's more detail, it would still have to be verified (reproduced), by others, qualified people, to leave the "assertion" catagory.

To me, the subject of malware is a serious one. Such suspicions call for rigorous investigation. So please forgive me if I speak in a clinical fashion. (I'm not trying to sound like I know more than I actually know. But there are ways to go about things. Hard-core experts are out there. They should be consulted)..

Quote - i 'SAW' the CMS 'pinging' the outbound ports. i was concerned with the need to have it installed as a Windows service. considering it is basically a database, and properly coded would not need to be installed as a service.

so i took a copy of DS4 to a friend of mine who has been programming for over 30 years, he installed it to a 'work rig' and ran a special debugging app he developed on the base code of the CMS. it was there on the screen as the app was running that the CMS WAS pinging outbound ports before it started to look for the internal ports it needs to run.

Then perhaps you could ask him to report his findings, and testing methodology, to people who can try to reproduce his test. Like I said, there are many experts who should be happy to try to confirm such a thing, and evaluate it for level of concern.

Free download that anyone could test on. So there's no obstacle there.

Be interested to hear what they say, if you so choose.

If confirmed, I would suspect that it would be a feature of the database software used to make CMS. Something Daz could probably shut off it they are made aware. Heck, shutting that off might make CMS a little smaller and faster. But this paragraph is a "supposition" on my part.

I don't recall the name of the database software used to write CMS. But I think Richard knows, or could find out. That software, as I recall, is capable of lan or internet access, if that feature is desired by the customer (Daz, in this case).