Forum: DAZ|Studio

Subject: Reality Render thread. A new beginning.

Pret-a-3D opened this issue on May 14, 2012 · 8453 posts

FyraNyanser posted Fri, 15 June 2012 at 5:05 PM

Quote - Thanks Sharky.

Just to see what I might be getting into, I took a peek at GenX at 32 bones, not on sale, and you have to get the M4/V4 shapes for genesis (which is on sale for $11 right now)

Aside from having to redo characters, is there any benefit to GenX as opposed to picking up the Genesis morph bundle, on slae for $16 and change right now?

I've been using Gen X for some time, and my view is that it's not—or at least not now—of great use for body morphs (if you have the Genesis goodies) since it's possible and even easy to create good body morphs natively in Genesis which are superior to many Gen 4 purchased morphs. The exception to this would be the more unusual or extreme morphs (for instance, G4 creature morphs if you have them, and some characters) as these are generally not possible without custom morphs or special morph sets.

Where it becomes more valuable is with face/head character morphs, because I think these are much more difficult, not only because they express personality above all other physical features, but also because I find it harder to create good faces in comparison to good bodies.

What I would say is ask yourself whether you have a lot of G4 and earlier Gen X compatible characters that you particularly like that you would like to reproduce in Genesis. It also means that you can still buy Gen 4 characters for their morphs as well as their textures, even if you exclusively use Genesis (which I do). Most of the facial morphs that I use come from Gen X conversions, and the great thing, of course, is that they can be dialled (unlike simple injections) to whatever degree you like and mixed with others.

To be fair, despite what I have said, I still use some of the body morphs I converted, but I'm finding I use them less and less now that I have all, or most of, the Genesis morphs (Evolution, Muscularity, V5 and M5).