Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Question about getting skin to be greasy/sweaty looking

piccolo_909 opened this issue on Jun 15, 2012 ยท 12 posts

aRtBee posted Sat, 16 June 2012 at 9:06 AM

it depends on your lighting.

When you're using direct lights (point/spot/...) you need to use specularity. I tend to use rather large highlight sizes in this case, and a low value/dark color, and gradually increase brighness of the latter till satisfied. Note that reflection nodes don't handle direct light.

When your're using IDL lighting you've got to use reflection, as specularity does handle direct lights only. Just a white skydome will do, but it should match the rest of your image of course.

The third way is to use IDL lighting, plus some direct lights with (in Material Room) the diffuse channel blacked out. That combines both worlds.

My personal preference, especially in the last example, is to use more direct light and less indirect light because not only the highlights but also the shadowing does an important job. And while IDL is good at lighting, it's poor at shadowing. Direct lighting is just the opposite. Like real photographers: combining artificial and natural light for the best result.

- - - - - 

Usually I'm wrong. But to be effective and efficient, I don't need to be correct or accurate.

visit www.aRtBeeWeb.nl (works) or Missing Manuals (tutorials & reviews) - both need an update though