Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: The best light set out there is....?

Michaelab opened this issue on Jun 16, 2012 · 18 posts

moriador posted Sat, 16 June 2012 at 4:03 PM

Quote - Synthetic's "Pro Luma 2" and "Pro Luma - Up Close" here at the MP are streets ahead of anything else.

For dramatic renders -- Absolutely. I love them.

I use them with PP2012, as well, and they hold up under gamma correction and work quite well with IDL, though the results are not the same, they are still very good.

ETA: The close up lights are quite different, with gels and effects pointing specifically at the face.  I often find just buying a product like this and looking at how the effects are created is almost like its own tutorial.  Worth it to me, at any rate, for the times I'm feeling lazy and when I'm interested in learning.

I also really like Blackhearted's ProStudio, although with IDL in PP2012, I often add a specular light.

I have a bunch of the IDL studio and Render Studio lights for RDNA, too.

My defaults lights are a set of BB's VSS indoor lights that he released a while ago, tweaked to reduce intensity. 

I rarely render with canned lights straight out of the box. But when I am rendering a scene that does not have an obvious light source (who knows or cares where the lamps are if they're not visible in the scene?), it saves me a huge amount of effort to have a starting point.

A while it's true that the scene should dictate the lighting, I often don't know exactly what sort of light I want, until I've tried a few different options and seen the effects.

PoserPro 2014, PS CS5.5 Ext, Nikon D300. Win 8, i7-4770 @ 3.4 GHz, AMD Radeon 8570, 12 GB RAM.